Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer Grape-Tomato Bruschetta



I went to see Julie and Julia the other day. I liked it. I was generally enamored with the Julia parts and apathetic about the Julia parts, but over all the equation turned out favorable.

At the beginning of the movie Julie makes some tasty looking bruschetta and since then I've been craving a fresh tomato bruschetta on crunchy French bread. As luck would have it, Whole Foods had some very tasty looking and multi-colored grape tomatoes on sale a few days ago and so for lunch, I made me some bruschetta. And god damn, it was good.

This makes enough for about 4 pieces of bruschetta. I ate all of them for lunch, but if this was an appetizer this could serve 4.

What you need:
  • 1.5 cups grape tomatoes, washed and halved
  • 10 leaves of fresh basil, julienned (dry basil just won't cut it, sorry)
  • Sprinkle of sea salt (to taste)
  • About 5 grinds of fresh black pepper
  • 1 clove of garlic chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon of good extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Ttablespoon of balsamic vinegar
  • 4 slices of crusty french bread (I used the "Daily Batard" from Whole Foods)
What you do:
  1. Drizzle olive oil on the bread slices, then place in a toaster oven until slightly golden.
  2. Meanwhile, put all the other ingredients in a bowl and mix.
  3. When the bread it toasted, pile the tomato mixture onto the toasts *
  4. Enjoy! **

* If you're feeling cheesy, you could spread a thin layer of goat cheese on the toasts before adding the tomatoes.

**This would be terribly enjoyable, indeed, with a nice red wine.

No comments: