Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Three Bean Salad


I just love Three Bean Salad, and I thumb my nose at Mark Bittman who said recently, "the three-bean salad was usually a staple of the bad salad bar." I do agree, however, that most Three Bean Salads, particularly those served on salad bars are quite gross. Generally they're sickeningly sweet and the dressing is oddly thick. And usually the green beans have come from a can. A can! Now, everyone knows a can is no place for green beans!

This recipe is my own based on an amalgum of other recipes I found as I looked around. It features fresh steamed grean beans and I used some left over garbanzos which I cooked up the other day, though I'm sure a 15 oz. can would work just as well. I also reduced the amount of sugar and oil in the dressing to make it a little healthier. Here is what I came up with...
What you need:

Salad:
  • 1 lb. fresh green beans
  • 1 cup garbanzo beans
  • 1 15 oz. can kidney beans
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
Dressing:
  • 1/4 c. white sugar
  • 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 1 t. fresh pepper
  • 1 t. sea salt
  • 1 T. German mustard
What to do:
1. Wash and cut the green beans to 1-inch pieces.
2. Place 1 inch of water in a sauce pan fitted with a veggie steamer on a burner set to high.
3. When the water boils, fill steamer with the green beans and cover. Cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, chop the onion and red pepper and drain and wash the canned beans.
5. In a large bowl, combine the ingredients for the dressing and whisk until the sugar dissolves. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
6. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl with the dressing and toss everything to cover.
7. Cover the bowl and put in the refrigerator for a few hours to let the flavors marinate.
8. Enjoy!

1 comment:

BPL said...

Wow, thumbing your nose at Mark Bittman, eh? Pretty bold. I like it.