Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Potato Kale Soup with Italian Sausage


Long time and no blogging. We have, despite the impression the absence may have given, actually been eating quite heartily.

Here is a recipe we've made quite a bit. We adapted it from a recipe I found online by Cait Johnson who, apparently, is author of Witch in the Kitchen. I have never actually laid by eyes on this book, but that's what the internet told me. The main changes we made were to add some delicious Italian sausage and fresh thyme instead of dried and it is sooo good. And easy. And even better, it is still easy to find most of these ingredients locally grown here in Colorado, even in the last weeks of fall. A fine local soup, indeed!

What you need:
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 large potatoes*, chopped
  • 1 bunch (a bouquet if you will) fresh thyme
  • 6 cups veggie stock**
  • 1 bunch kale, rinsed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 lb. Italian sausage from your favorite butcher

What to do:
  1. Put the olive oil in the bottom of a soup kettle and heat it up over medium heat.
  2. Add the sausage and brown it.
  3. Add the onion and and saute until the onions are soft.
  4. Add the garlic and stir around.
  5. Add the potatoes and stir to cover with oil (and sausage renderings...)
  6. Add the stock, thyme bouquet, and bring the whole shebang to a boil.
  7. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
  8. Add kale and continue cooking for about 15 more minutes until the potatoes are soft and the kale is tender.
  9. Remove the thyme garni and then lightly mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
  10. Serve it up!***
Notes:
* We've made these with the fun Colorado fingerling potatoes and it works just fine. We like to leave the skins on any kind of potato for added texture and nutrients

** You can use any kind of stock you want, but I think veggie or chicken would be best. One time we made it with mushroom bullion that my mom brought back from Italy and it was divine.

***This would be good with sour cream or creme fraiche I think, but I never have that on hand so I'm not sure.

**** I think this would be a really fun soup to make for a kid and call it dinosaur soup. I envision using the knobby "Dinosaur" kale (also called Tuscan) and purple potatoes (as dino eggs). I think it would be fun. Edward asserts that kids would not like the mature flavors of the dish, but I assert that it would be a fun and nutritious meal. And I love dinosaurs.

No comments: